Wednesday, 26 September 2007

Money talks, I won't walk (yet)

A little while ago, my boss approached me very cautiously by grabbing me as I walked in the door. Although I was initially wary of these tactics, her highly excited whisper made me curious because it seemed that I wasn't going to be fired :P I was pulled into an empty meeting room and an envelope was slid across the table. I think I kept my 'interested face' up pretty well despite the antics, even though I was thinking 'wtf now'.

It seems I was getting a PAYRISE, a nice one at that. Now the reason why I was surprised was that I was told in no uncertain terms last year that I was not going to get a mid-year payrise even though I moved roles and was doing something with more workload and responsibility. It made me absolutely livid - work wasn't great and the fact that I wasn't even being paid market rates made me feel even more angry. My team manager didn't help any either, I don't want to speak ill of him but I still remember his attitude toward the whole thing. My boss (and his manager) had known me for longer and knew that I was unhappy, but at least she acknowledged my feelings and said that she will try to do her best at the next annual review. So since I practically demanded a pay review but received a run around, I was now very surprised to hear that one was being given to me 'gratis' - two in one calendar year!!

The reality is that we've been trying to recruit into our team for donkeys and all the potentials were asking much more than we were being paid, at least the boss had the honesty to admit this tidbit. So in order not to lose us to competitors who were also recruiting actively (and there had been plenty of calls from recruiters, obvious to all those who sit nearby), they had to get in there first. I'm no sucker ;)

Now I can finally live the life to which I had become accustomed - hehe, SIF!

2 comments:

Olivia and Delilah said...

woohoo.. does that mean more pressies coming our way with this pay rise????

niffs said...

First off the mark, impressive ;)

Never know what you'll get for chrissie eh? Perhaps even a JM scent if you kindly throw hints my way