... cos I like eating fish!
Due to popular demand (demand being the operative word), here is my tuna cutlet recipe. My scatty brain only tends to remember what-to-do as I do it but I somehow managed to write it down. Making them can be a slight pain (and boring) but they're well worth it, even my colleagues have asked for some and still speak of them with much admiration.
Tuna cutlets
Cutlet mix
1-2 cans of tuna (in water or brine preferably)
Potatoes, boiled and mashed (same amount as the tuna used)
1/2 large onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
Few curry leaves (chopped or broken into little pieces)
1-2 green chillis sliced finely or chilli flakes
1 tbls olive oil (approx)
Mustard seeds
Cumin powder
Tumeric powder
Coriander powder
Salt or lemon juice
Coating & frying
1-2 eggs beaten
breadcrumbs
Oil for deep/shallow frying
Instructions
Before starting, boil and mash potatoes and chop up everything.
1. Heat olive oil on medium heat and add mustard seeds, fry until they start popping
2. Add onion and sautee, lower heat if necessary so that you don't burn onions
3. Once onion soften a little, add the garlic, curry leaves and chilli and continue to sautee until onions slightly brown
4. Lower heat, add tuna and mix through
5. Add cumin, turmeric and coriander powders to taste (a pinch or two of each, I prefer the taste of cumin so add a bit more than the other two) and mix well
6. Add the mashed potato and mix well
7. Add salt/lemon juice to taste and mix well
8. Take off heat and cool until you can handle it in your hands
9. Use a tablespoon to measure out cutlet mix and roll into either balls or discs. Make sure you squash the mix well when rolling, otherwise it will break apart when frying
10. Coat cutlets first by dipping into egg, then into breadcrumbs
11. Deep or shallow fry until golden brown. Drain on lots of paper towels
12. Et voila!
Serves: 1 (me!!!)
Sunday, 18 November 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
mmm cutlets... I want to eat all of them for dinner tonight but am resisting. ;p
so i made mine wiht a slight variation. I put some chopped parsley in it and i also added the egg yolk to the mixture to make it keep hold better!
Next time, definately gonnna add more chillis.. although its more flavoursome atm.
YUMME
Thanks!
Babs
noice.. you can cook up a few batches when you come back - i don't cook.. ;-P
I hear you've unwrapped the oven and have been baking ;) I hope I get loads of cupcakes when I visit Aus !!
of course.. I will swap u.. cupcakes for fishcakes.. plenty of cupcake baking this weekend as mini me is having a birthday party and mommy has decided to be adventurous or incredibly stupid and make a birthday cake out of mini cupcakes...umm... maybe I should have a back up birthday cake... JUST IN CASE ....
Post a Comment