Saturday, 12 January 2008

Whole Foods Market

I haven't been down to High St Ken in a long while and missed out on the ruckus caused by the opening of Whole Foods. I was ambling along the street looking for January sales bargains and couldn't help but go in to have a looksee .... ending up wandering around for nearly an hour ! These guys are really popular in the US, especially because they encompass the 'organic' theme which has been en vogue for the last few years. I even remember reading about this chain on some of the US forums I used to frequent years ago.

It's a huge place with everything you can think of in the one space, a ginormous food palace - I was in heaven.

Points of note: wall of nuts & seeds, antipasti fridge, fruit & vege basement, egg area, hot soup bench, yummy looking (and smelling) hot food counters and a cheese house.

Although not ultra cheap, I couldn't help but pick up a few goodies that I don't get very often:
* New brand of rooibos tea to try
* Chunk of yummy smelling aged Gruyere cheese
* Bottle of fresh coconut juice/milk - felt like summer in SL
* Organic almond & hazelnut choc chip cookies - sounds intriguing

Another cupcake post
Afterwards I decided to check out the local cupcakery Buttercup Bakeshop. The day was quite nice so I didn't mind wandering around the back streets of Kensington. The area is quite lovely with some beautiful (and posh) houses and the communal gardens found in the squares are especially pretty.

Buttercup Bakeshop is an American style bakery tucked away in a quiet cul-de-sac with a pretty and welcoming shopfront. Inside, there was a small cupcake display area, work station where sat some freshly made cakes ready to be iced, and a few tables & chairs for those who wanted to take a load off. Whilst I was there, I decided to get some for my flatmates and the Beenikster household, so I picked up a combo pack of vanilla (you can even see the vanilla flecks in the icing!), red velvet, chocolate and one lemon decorated with tangy lemon icing and a huge meringue piece on top. I've saved this one for tonight's dessert :D

Oh S, Kensington Square Kitchen boldly claims that they have the best coffee in London. I might need your verdict on that ;)

No comments: