My lovely friend Shug treated me to a performance at the National Theatre on Saturday afternoon. We decided to make a day of it but totally underestimated the lunchtime rush at the nearby Southbank eateries... for a while I thought we'd have to make do with a sandwich on-the-go but somehow we managed to find a place that would do fish&chips very quickly. Hooray!
The play was a three hour version of Much Ado About Nothing with Zoe Wanamaker (My Family, Harry Potter) and Simon Russell Beale (who I looked up later, impressive resume) in the main roles of Beatrice and Benedick.
The production was nothing short of amazing. We were in Row B and normally this would mean craning your head so far back that it would be uncomfortable but not here, it was a vantage point for the short-sighted! We were chest high to the stage and I could see every little nook & cranny of the amazing set - I could even see all the actor spittle fly about!!! ;)
It was a revolving set with three 'rooms' that acted as either courtyards, orchards, bedrooms etc - props were added or taken away as needed. The set had stone/brick flooring and wooden banisters/beams, it even had a pool in the middle for a scene where Benedick jumps into the water to avoid being found (I don't recall this from the play, but eh, it might be my foggy memory or just a case of artistic license). The room (Gielgud Theatre) was pretty impressive too and with great acoustics. All in all, three hours went flying by!
Thanks also for your lovely birthday pressie Shug.... the latest No.1 Ladies Detective Agency book! I've been eyeing it for a few weeks so it's a good thing you got there first :) *mwah*
Sunday, 9 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wasn't it just fab! Best play I've ever seen, ok, I've only seen about three, but definite advantage being in the front row, I'll never sit anywhere else! Though maybe a bit more central next time, I spent a lot of the first act gazing at Leonato's back.
And it wasn't just the spittle you could see, but also the tears welling up in Hero's eyes when Claudio rejected her! Wow! I'm so glad I booked the tickets three months ago, it's all sold out now and thank for coming with, I don't think my sister would have been quite so impressed.
The image of Simon Russell Beale spreadeagled, soaking wet, trying to be sexy at Beatrice 'cos he knows she loves him is one that will linger:P
Other lessons we have learnt: Pollock is not a fish suitable for fish and chips - tiny flakes of fish and that writing poetry is somehow genetic, courtesy of the loud fellow in the seat behind us.
And glad you approve of the book, I love Mma Ramotswe's adventures!
Shug
Post a Comment