Luckily the friends had been there before and gave it the two thumbs up!
We were seated near the window, which was nice because you could see the lovely spring (?) day outside and the garden area was very pretty too. The restaurant wasn't full and very quiet, everyone spoke in hushed tones (including the other patrons) so we started whispering our conversations too to match the mood, hehe.
Before we started the meal, we were given palate cleansers; first a shot glass of a grapefruit foamy thing and then a small tumbler full of pumpkin soup with sauteed mushrooms at the bottom - a bit like a treasure hunt getting the mushrooms, it was yummy!
What I ate - these are purely descriptive from memory than what's written on the menu
Entree: scallop with celeriac, apple strips and caramel
Main: sauteed john dory with some semi-dried tomato concoction, fennel, black olives and anchovies - in a word, YUM.
->
Dessert: lemon and ginger parfait, white chocolate, a stick of lemon meringue - there was plenty of parfait (2 slabs) so I wouldn't have minded more lemon meringue and less parfait
Wine: Chateau Neuf du Pape of some kind, M's favourite but not as good as the last one they had here apparently! Tasted nice for a red, I'm trying to enjoy red more & more
We were all SO full by the end of this but it was worth it!
I had to try to hide the bill from N as it was a b'day treat - I know how guilty he feels when I foot the bill myself but it was about time! We then waddled off across the grassy knolls of Cambridge and I insisted we get a cab back home, I fell asleep in the cab pretty quickly. Bliss
All in all, a great Saturday afternoon spent in Cambridge.