Maybe it’s my age or that my friends are settling down or that a close friend recently bought a place in the UK with her other half but I'm starting to have this huge urge to own a place.
It was just so fun to go out and choose furniture, talk about potential colour schemes, talk about the pros & cons of the various places they'd found, eye up dinnerware (omg DENBY) and even now we talk (argue) about the merits of owning a whisk over a gravy boat (Denby of course). All of this house related activity started stoking a fire that had long ago simmered down - this mainly due to me thinking that I would buy with the man I would marry or that if I had to buy myself, I couldn't afford it in Aus etc etc.
I'd always had this fantasy of owning a small home near the beach with a rambling garden or somesuch....never mind the Australiana fauna that this garden could conceal (ugh) but this was a fantasy after all. I've refrained from buying anything new or shiny at our rented place in the UK, we make do with the leftovers from our old flatmates and I only replace things that have broken. I think this is mainly because I want to maintain a newness or purity of items for when I eventually own a place - weird huh?
Now I know I am ultimately a lazy person but I still feel a sad desperation to varnish wooden things, paper walls, upholster furniture, bake stuff etc. My inner Martha Stewart is just waiting to be unleashed. I've also been cooking a lot more, trying to be a better cook and to be more intuitive with it. So this leads onto food blogs; these days I go to read them first rather than the gossip/fashion blogs. I see what people make/eat and think to myself, I want to do that! How can I do that??! Am I getting old or what?!
So this leads me back to the house, I want a kitchen for me. I want someplace where it is new-ish, clean and gives me the space to ponder recipes and even maybe to master the art of baking (the pinnacle that I want to achieve). I want it to be organised and neat, which is quite unlike my parents' kitchen in Aus where there is stuff all over the place; some in containers, some in their original packaging and it works fine for them and didn't bother me too much then because I only ventured into the kitchen to grab dinner. Oh those were the days when everything was done for you but I digress....
So yeah, I want a house for me, something that is all mine. All for me, done by me (well not built but dressed ...) - me me me!!
Now as to cleaning this house... that's another matter altogether!
Wednesday, 14 March 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment